26 Jan UFC Charlotte and Bellator 193 Fun Facts
It’s another weekend full of fights, a middleweight headlined by Derek Brunson and Jacare Souza at UFC Charlotte and welterweight clash between Lorenz Larkin and Fernando Gonzalez at Bellator 193, so here are some fun fight facts –
- The event will mark the promotion’s fourth visit to Charlotte. The last time was in March 2010 for UFC Fight Night: Florian vs. Gomi. This will be Brunson’s first time fighting with the promotion in his native state.
- Brunson vs Souza headline the main event in a rematch. The two 185-pounders fought in 2012 under the Strikeforce banner, where “Jacare” picked up a 41-second knockout win.
- Randa Markos was a contestant on TUF 20 where she defeated Tecia Torres and Felice Herring to progress to the semi-finals.She lost via first-round submission to current champ Rose Namajunas.
- Bellator’s main event takes place at a catchweight of 180 pounds with UFC veteran Lorenz Larkin up against Fernando Gonzalez. Weight has been an issue for Gonalez throughout his career failing to hit his mark in his past two outings, and drug test failures – testing positive twice for marijuana metabolites.
- Gonzalez’s only recent loss came in a split decision against blue-chip prospect Michael Page. Last weekend President Scott Coker mentioned his interest in keeping MVP busy this year, could a win over Larkin get him that rematch or better yet, a title eliminator?
- JJ Ambrose returns for a second stint with Bellator since 2013, while Awad joined the promotion in 2013 racking up nine wins. Ambrose says he’s trained for several months in preparation for Awad. Using the long layoff to his advantage, to get in peak shape. “It’s kind of old-school mentality when boxers used to train for 12 to 16 weeks,” says Ambrose. He trains home in Guam where he opened STEEL Athletics which has become one of the premier training gyms on the island.