Competitiveness and unity are in the air at Bellator 201 fight week.
It starts at the top with current flyweight champ Ilima lei MacFarlane who set a nice example using her platform to empower women.
Since defeating Emily Ducote to become the inaugural Flyweight champion MacFarlane started the Ilimanator Scholarship Fund selecting five native women to participate in a summer school program.
Representing her Hawaiian roots the champ speaks highly of the contenders in her division and the desire for a long career in the sport so she can own a home one day, and create the first female Bellator bobblehead dressed as a pineapple princess.
Her opponent has desires of her own, to represent Latin American fighters and become the youngest women’s champion in Bellator history.
Columbian artist Alejandra Lara will fight for the first time in the U.S. and wants fans to see her as the new generation.
A proud vegetarian inspired by music, she looks to spoil MacFarlane’s first title defence and answer the question: Who is Lara and why is she getting a title shot so soon?
Also on the main card is a battle between highly regarded flyweights Valerie Letourneau and Kristina Williams.
Valerie was considered for the next shot against the champ but first, she’ll have to face the tough newbie who’s been upsetting everyone thrown her way.
Neither woman is underestimating her opponent and know what a big win could do for their matching to follow.
A 20-year veteran, Valerie has a reignited excitement for the sport hearing the news of the DAZN streaming deal and possibilities of a fight in Canada or women’s tournament.
The momentum is real and the ladies of Bellator guarantee to put on a show, their next at Bellator 201 with six female fights on the card!
Bellator 201 prelims will stream live on the Bellator app. The main card will follow on the Paramount Network on June 29th, 2018 at the Pechanga Hotel and Casino in Temecula, CA.
Main Card | Paramount Network 9 pm EST/6pm PST
- Women’s flyweight: Ilima-Lei Macfarlane (c) vs. Alejandra Lara
- Catchweight: Ryan Couture vs. Saad Awad
- Women’s flyweight” Valerie Letourneau vs. Kristina Williams
- Featherweight: Juan Archuleta vs. Robbie Peralta
Preliminary card | Paramount Network 7 p.m. EST/4 p.m. PST]
- Welterweight: Craig Plaskett vs. Joey Davis
- Welterweight: Andy Murad vs. Ed Ruth
- Women’s strawweight: Keri Melendez vs. Tiani Valle
- Heavyweight: Tyrell Fortune vs. Josue Lugo
- Light heavyweight: Jordan Young vs. Jamal Pogues
- Lightweight bout: Jacob Rosales vs. Joshua Jones
- Featherweight: Jay Jay Wilson vs. David Conte
- Bantamweight: Victor Rosas vs. Ricky Furar