Gavin Gwynne shocks Sean McComb to win Commonwealth lightweight title

Gavin Gwynne caused an upset win as he defeated Sean McComb to win the vacant Commonwealth lightweight title on a huge #MTKFightNight.

It had been a terrific fight between the two men, with Gwynne picking up a seventh round stoppage victory to claim the belt at the University of Bolton Stadium.

In the two other title fights during the evening, Samuel Antwi stopped Darren Tetley in round six to win the vacant English welterweight title, while Danny Carr beat Dean Dodge on points to retain his Southern Area super-featherweight title.

There was also wins for Pierce O’Leary, Paddy Donovan, Mark McKeown, Elliot Whale and Mohammed Sameer. Free to use images from the event can be found HERE (please credit MTK Global), and here’s everything else you need to know from a massive night of action.


Vacant Commonwealth lightweight title

Gavin Gwynne became the new Commonwealth lightweight champion after he picked up a seventh round stoppage win against Sean McComb.

Both men had success throughout the fight, and each of them had to deal with cuts, with McComb suffering from one over his eyebrow, while an accidental elbow opened a bad cut on the back of Gwynne’s head.

It was a ferocious pace, which saw both men land huge shots, but in the end it was Gwynne who earned the win against the brave McComb, coming out on top in the seventh round to claim the vacant belt.

Gwynne said: “I’m speechless and I don’t know what to say. I put so much into this camp. Nobody was going to beat me, no world class fighter was going to stop me.

“We know Sean is a class amateur and I couldn’t outbox him. I had to take it to him, I started going to work and putting my shots together. Fair play to him he stayed on his feet but we got the win, and I can’t put into words how much it means.

“I’ve had big fights but it was the first time that Sean had really stepped up, so I knew this was going to be tough for him. This will be my boy’s belt now!”


Vacant English welterweight title

Samuel Antwi picked up a big win as he defeated Darren Tetley via sixth round stoppage to win the vacant English welterweight title.

It was a fast start from Antwi, dropping Tetley in round one thanks to a vicious shot to the body. Tetley was able to recover and come back with some shots of his own, but Antwi remained in the driving seat.

Another body shot dropped Tetley in round six, and while he was able to get back to his feet, a big shot followed by Antwi, forcing the referee to jump in, with opinions split as to whether it was an early stoppage or the correct decision.

Antwi said: “He was a game opponent. I knew it would be tricky but I found the shot I was looking for, stuck to the game plan and then we got him out of there.

“I didn’t want to rush the work as I thought I may make more mistakes. I landed some good shots, took my time and was patient with it. We got there in the end and now this is my foot in the door of a very busy welterweight scene.

“It’s been a year out for me and this is my first fight back. We got the ring rust out the way, now I’m warmed up and ready to go.”


Southern Area super-featherweight title

Danny Carr retained his Southern Area super-featherweight title following a brilliant points win over fellow unbeaten fighter Dean Dodge.

There had been some words exchanged between the two men in the build up to the fight, and the fireworks continued in the ring as both fighters gave it their all.

The fight went the distance after a tremendous battle, but it was Carr who kept hold of his belt and his undefeated record, with the referee scoring it 97-93 in his favour, in a fight that also served as an eliminator for the English title.

Carr said: “It’s been a while without a fight, and so I had to put a lot of hard work in the gym and it has paid off. There was a bit of to and fro with Dodge in the build up, but in the ring I did what I needed to do.

“I was always confident of getting the job done, and now that the momentum is out the way I want to keep fighting. I want the English title next, and hopefully I can get that soon.”


Dublin talent Pierce O’Leary showed yet again why he is regarded as one of the best up and coming talents thanks to a dominant points victory over Irvin Magno.

O’Leary landed some massive shots throughout the fight, with the most powerful of which coming in round three when he rocked Magno and had him in trouble up against the ropes.

Magno was able to recover and see out the fight, but it was a sensational display from O’Leary as the referee scored it 59-55 and he extended his unbeaten record to 6-0.

O’Leary said: “I’ve been in the gym constantly and all of the hard work is paying off. I’ve been training since November and I just want to keep the momentum going.

“I’ve always had the power and I knew the professional game was going to suit me, but I’ve also been slowing myself down, pacing myself and looking for the right shot at the right time. I’m doing really well my trainer Al Smith.

“I hurt Magno a few times but he served so credit to him as he was very tough. Hopefully I can be back out soon enough and just keep progressing.”


Limerick star Paddy Donovan made it another quick night of work as he caused the very brave Siar Ozgul to be pulled out after four rounds of their battle.

Donovan had failed to stop his opponent in just two of his five fights up to that point, and he showed exactly why, with his huge knockout power on display.

Ozgul gave it his all, but he was just overpowered, with his corner pulling him out after four rounds to hand Donovan a pleasing win.

Donovan said: “Training was tough. It hasn’t been easy with this lockdown due to the restrictions going on, so I did a lot of training with my dad and wasn’t with Andy Lee much, but once these restrictions are lifted me and Andy will be back together training hard.

“Ozgul brought a big challenge, but my skill and brain overcame that challenge well. My hand is a bit sore so if not for that I would have probably gone for the knockout a bit earlier, but it was good to get him out of there.

“The plan now is to just keep working hard and improving. I want to try and get to 10-0 by the end of the year and then challenge for a title.”


Scottish sensation Mark McKeown picked up the biggest win of his career, earning a second round stoppage win against fellow unbeaten fighter Brad Daws.

It didn’t take McKeown long to make an impact, landing a huge shot that sent Daws to the canvas at the start of the second round.

The Nottingham man managed to get back to his feet, but McKeown jumped straight back on him, knocking him down again and prompting the referee to just in and wave off the contest.

McKeown said: “In the first round I got my jab going and was a bit looser, then in the second round as soon as I let the shot go that I’ve been working on we got the job done.

“These are the fights that I want. I don’t want to be 15 fights in having not been tested, and thankfully we’re doing it where I have been in there with opponents that are coming to win.

“I love training, and a few days after a fight I’m already back in the gym trying to improve. I did some sparring with Ricky Burns so he was helping me out with this fight, so I’m thankful for him too.”


Elliot Whale put on a dazzling display by defeating previously undefeated Jamie Stewart on points after six rounds.

Stewart had recently beaten Michael Hennessy Jr before following that up with a draw against Florian Marku, but Whale wasn’t deterred, and was in control for large portions of the fight.

In the end it turned out to be a convincing and mature performance from Whale, with the referee scoring it 59-55 to the 23-year-old, who moved to 4-0 in the process.


Rising star Mohammed Sameer made it 2-0 in his professional career thanks to a dominant points win against Kearon Thomas.

Sameer dictated the pace throughout the fight, winning all four rounds on the referee’s card to return in style after 14 months outside of the ring.

Join Our WhatsApp Group

Join our UFC WhatsApp fan group and discuss the latest UFC events and news