The Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee, was abuzz with excitement on August 5, 2023, as the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) presented UFC on ESPN: Sandhagen vs. Font, a card that delivered one thrilling bout after another. MMA fans were treated to a spectacular night of explosive action, surprising submissions, and dominant victories that left a lasting impression.
Main Event – Sandhagen vs. Font: A Clash of Titans
In the main event, two bantamweight giants, Cory Sandhagen and Rob Font, squared off in a five-round war to determine who would advance in the division and stake their claim for a title shot. Sandhagen displayed his exceptional striking skills and footwork, outpointing Font in a unanimous decision victory (50–45, 50–45, 50–45). The fight showcased the heart and determination of both fighters, with Sandhagen’s precise striking earning him a well-deserved win.
Tatiana Suarez: A Force to Be Reckoned With
In the women’s strawweight division, Tatiana Suarez made a triumphant return to the Octagon after a long layoff due to injury. Facing the formidable Jéssica Andrade, Suarez showcased her dominant grappling abilities, locking in a tight guillotine choke in the second round, forcing Andrade to tap out at 1 minute and 31 seconds. Suarez’s impressive performance earned her a well-deserved submission victory and reminded the MMA world of her potential as a title contender.
Dustin Jacoby’s Explosive Finish
Light heavyweight contender Dustin Jacoby left the audience in awe with his first-round TKO victory over Kennedy Nzechukwu. Jacoby’s powerful striking proved too much for Nzechukwu, as he finished the fight with a barrage of punches just 1 minute and 22 seconds into the first round.
Diego Lopes Stuns with Quick Submission
Featherweight prospect Diego Lopes made a significant statement in his bout against Gavin Tucker, securing a submission win via armbar in the opening round. Lopes wasted no time, swiftly ending the fight at 1 minute and 38 seconds, and solidifying his position as a fighter to watch in the competitive featherweight division.
Preliminary Card Highlights
The preliminary card also featured remarkable performances, with Kyler Phillips earning a unanimous decision victory over Raoni Barcelos in a closely contested bantamweight battle. Welterweight Carlston Harris impressed with a technical submission win via anaconda choke against Jeremiah Wells in the third round. Billy Quarantillo showcased his skills with a unanimous decision victory over Damon Jackson in a hard-fought featherweight matchup.
UFC Nashville: Sandhagen vs. Font – Full Results
• Main Event: Cory Sandhagen def. Rob Font – Decision (unanimous) (50–45, 50–45, 50–45)
• Women’s Strawweight: Tatiana Suarez def. Jéssica Andrade – Submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2 (1:31)
• Light Heavyweight: Dustin Jacoby def. Kennedy Nzechukwu – TKO (punches) – Round 1 (1:22)
• Featherweight: Diego Lopes def. Gavin Tucker – Submission (armbar) – Round 1 (1:38)
• Light Heavyweight: Tanner Boser def. Aleksa Camur – Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27) – Round 3 (5:00)
• Lightweight: Ľudovít Klein def. Ignacio Bahamondes – Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28) – Round 3 (5:00)
• Preliminary Card: Kyler Phillips def. Raoni Barcelos – Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 29–28, 29–28) – Round 3 (5:00)
• Welterweight: Carlston Harris def. Jeremiah Wells – Technical Submission (anaconda choke) – Round 3 (1:50)
• Featherweight: Billy Quarantillo def. Damon Jackson – Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28) – Round 3 (5:00)
• Flyweight: Cody Durden def. Jake Hadley – Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27) – Round 3 (5:00)
• Catchweight: Sean Woodson def. Dennis Buzukja – Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27) – Round 3 (5:00)
• Flyweight: Assu Almabayev def. Ode’ Osbourne – Submission (rear-naked choke) – Round