Arman Tsarukyan Left Fuming as UFC Picks Gaethje vs Pimblett for Interim Title

Share:

UFC lightweight contender Arman Tsarukyan isn’t hiding his frustration after being passed over for an interim title shot. Despite his dominant victory over Dan Hooker at UFC Qatar, the promotion has instead booked Justin Gaethje against Paddy Pimblett for the interim belt at UFC 324.

“It just doesn’t make sense,” Tsarukyan told reporters, echoing the sentiment he shared on social media. “I finish a top guy like Hooker in two rounds, I’m ready to fight in January, and they go in another direction.”

Left in the Shadows After a Standout Win

Just last weekend, Arman Tsarukyan put the entire lightweight division on notice. He didn’t just beat Dan Hooker; he dismantled him, forcing a submission in the second round. The victory was a statement—the kind that usually catapults a fighter straight into a championship conversation.

Tsarukyan felt he had done everything required. “I told the UFC I’m healthy and I can make a quick turnaround for the Paramount card,” he said, referring to the January pay-per-view. “The goal was always the title. After that performance, I thought it was guaranteed.”

Instead, the news broke that Justin Gaethje, who had been vocal about getting a title shot or walking away, would face the rising star Paddy Pimblett for the interim strap. For many watching, the decision was a head-scratcher. Why create an interim title fight that leaves the division’s number one contender on the sidelines?

The Questions Everyone is Asking

The matchmaking has left fans and pundits alike trying to decipher the UFC’s logic. The most obvious question is why Tsarukyan was overlooked after such a decisive win. His victory over Hooker seemed to check every box, making his exclusion from the title picture difficult to understand from a sporting perspective.

Fan reaction has been largely sympathetic to Tsarukyan. On social media and forums, many are expressing frustration, seeing the move as prioritising a marketable storyline—the popular Pimblett’s rapid ascent—over competitive merit.

Complicating matters further was Dana White’s confirmation about the status of undisputed champion Ilia Topuria. With Topuria confirmed to be out for the first quarter of the year, the path seemed clear for a true top contender to fight for interim gold. The announcement that Topuria will face the winner of Gaethje vs. Pimblett upon his return effectively slams the door on Tsarukyan’s immediate title hopes, leaving his next step a mystery.

For now, Tsarukyan is left waiting, a champion-calibre fighter without a crown to chase. “I’m the most dangerous guy in this division,” he stated. “Sooner or later, they’ll have to give me my shot.”

This article was last updated on November 28, 2025 10:24 pm

Join Our Whatsapp Group

Join our UFC News WhatsApp group for instant fight updates, breaking news, and live fan discussions. Stay in the loop and never miss a moment in the octagon!

Scroll to Top