The Ultimate Fighting Championship tends to end the year with a bang! Here is a look at the present New Year card and some memorable past events.
UFC219: Cyborg will defend her title against former bantamweight champion Holly Holm in what Joe Rogan states will be their most dangerous fights to date. Cyborg hasn’t suffered a loss since 2005 but we’re all familiar with Holm’s dethroning capability. The night also features several bouts that could put the winners in title shot discussion.
- Two high-level females headline the event
- Khabib Nurmagomedov makes his anticipated return to prove he’s title shot ready
- UFC 219 will be the first event where the new sensor gloves will be tested
UFC207: Ronda Rousey made her return after a year against new champion Amanda Nunes. Rousey refused to do press building the anticipation and Nunes’ victory leaving fans curious if this was the end of Ronda’s MMA career. Cody Garbrandt wins revenge in the Team AlphaMale vs Dominick Cruz turf war with an impressive and groovy win.
- Tj Dillashaw’s impressive win against John Lineker locked in the future title bout with Garbrandt
- Nunes set her legacy of new reigning champ with another win against a veteran
UFC168: Chris Weidman retained his belt with a second win over Anderson Silva via leg kick check. A rematch between two women’s MMA legends wins the fight of the night but ends in deja vu: armbar.
- Urijah Hall sends Chris Leben into retirement with a flag waved after the first
- All main card bouts ended with finishes including Travis Browne’s vicious elbows
- Weidman’s popularity continued to soar after this second defeat over the unbeatable Silva in wild fashion
UFC79 Nemesis: The night ended with a welterweight interim title fight where Georges St. Pierre once again defeated former champ, Matt Hughes. Chuck Liddell faced Wanderlei Silva in a dream fight fans had asked for. Going the distance, both men received the 2007 fight of the year via World MMA, Liddell pulled off a unanimous decision victory.
- Pierre vs Hughes would finally end their trilogy
- In his debut walk out Sokoudjou wore a predator mask to play off recent internet photoshop made of him
- This was Liddell’s final win before leaving the UFC