Fans and media weren’t the only ones to be surprised to hear that Ronda Rousey will defend her UFC women’s bantamweight championship against Holly Holm on January 2. The woman we all expected to be next in line, Miesha Tate, heard the news at the same time.
The former Strikeforce champion Tate had been named as the next challenger for Rousey’s title on several occasions by UFC president Dana White over the past month after defeated Jessica Eye.
Tate had already begun training for her third fight with Rousey when she heard the news. She spoke with MMAFighting.com.
“I am extremely disappointed how all the events unfolded this morning regarding news that I will not be fighting Ronda Rousey. I was told after my last win that I had earned the title shot,” Tate said. “I’ve already begun training for Rousey and I was shocked to hear the announcement this morning. I regret this for not only myself, but my team, sponsors and the fans who like me believed my next fight was for the title.”
Tate declined comment when asked what she plans to do next.